Skip to main content

Author Interview - Peter Hartog, Bloodlines

Please Welcome Peter Hartog, author of the sci-fi fantasy crime thriller Bloodlines.

Tell us a little about yourself:
I’m a damn Yankee living in the Deep South for the last 25 years. However, I grew up in the small town of Ashland, MA which is about a 45-minute drive west of Boston. I graduated Brandeis University in 1992, then moved down to Georgia two years later with my then wife. My One-And-Only Wife (tm) likes to call that other one my “practice wife.” To maintain domestic tranquility (as well as continue breathing), I’m content to agree with her. By day, I’m a commercial property underwriter for an insurance company, which sounds incredibly boring, but actually isn’t. At night, I spin tall tales of mystery, excitement and adventure, one word at a time.

I owe my love of science fiction and fantasy - reading, shows, movies, all of it - to my mother. She introduced me to Star Trek at a very young age, and I’ve been hooked ever since. Besides Tolkien, I feasted upon the likes of Piers Anthony, David Eddings, Julian May, Fred Saberhagen, Raymond Feist, Terry Brooks, Jack Chalker, Michael Moorcock, pretty much every fantasy author from the late 70s through the 80s.

My two boys share my love of reading. Whenever we travel in the car, a book accompanies them. Their passion for stories surpasses my own. Their creativity is incredible and ever-evolving. The things they make up on a whim, that spontaneity, entire worlds and characters spun out of thin air, I see that spark in them, and I’m reminded of myself when I was their age. It keeps me young and motivated, quite honestly.

What authors do you draw inspiration from and why:
Wilkie Collins’ The Moonstone. Considered to be the first ever detective novel, it drew me in and spat me out. The story completely fascinated me. William Golding’s Lord of the Flies for its brutal allegorical depictions of individuality, morality and civilization. Ray Bradbury's Dandelion Wine for its simple and beautiful rendering of his childhood mixed with fantasy elements. Harper Lee’s To Kill A Mockingbird, both novel and film, because of Atticus Finch’s integrity, the racial injustice that, unfortunately, remains VERY prevalent today, and the challenges both Scout and Jem faced growing up in Maycomb. Terry Brooks’ Elfstones of Shannara for the power of the Elfstones, the Demons and the Forbidding, the sacrifice made by Amberle, the Reaper and the battle at the bridge…so many scenes in that one. There are far too many books to list here, but I think you get the picture.

Tell us about your book:
Bloodlines is a multi-genre story that follows former hotshot homicide detective Tom “Doc” Holliday and his eclectic crew as they hunt a killer in the dystopian setting of Empire City. Holliday possesses a fickle clairvoyance that he calls the Insight, which allows him to see the dark and terrible things living within his world. Accompanying his investigation is Deacon Kole, a former Protector from the Confederate States of Birmingham, Leyla, a talented hacker who is also a witch, and Besim Saranda, a Vellan from a parallel dimension. Together, they hunt an elusive killer who just might be a vampire, if the unreliable eyewitnesses stoned on the designer drug goldjoy are to be believed. Their investigation eventually pits them against mercenaries, drug dealers and other, more sinister foes, and reveals a magical conspiracy that spans the ages.

The novel’s flavor and setting is largely informed by the movie Blade Runner, hardboiled detective novels such as Raymond Chandler’s The Big Sleep, Michael Connelly’s Harry Bosch series, and Jim Butcher’s very famous Wizard-for-hire Harry Dresden. I wrote it in first person point-of-view because it just felt right. The story itself is the novelization of a table-top role-playing game I ran for my long-standing gaming group. I wanted to do something different from the high fantasy games I’d been known for running over nearly thirty years of gaming. I went with an altered New York City as the backdrop, translated several of my players’ characters into the story, then developed Doc Holliday to round it all out.

The story has everything crime, urban fantasy and sci-fi lovers enjoy: magic blended with not-so-far-fetched technology, a meaty plot full of tangled conspiracies, witty dialogue (I hope!), characters you can really sink your teeth into, and a few Easter eggs for those who like that kind of thing.

How long did it take you to write it?  What were some of the challenges:
I hit the “publish” button two years after I started writing it. The story went through 8 full edits (by me, prompted by suggestions from my awesome beta readers). I’m one of those rare writers who enjoys editing. To me, getting the story down the first time is the hardest part of all. After that, I tinker with the story and polish it to a fine sheen.

However, the greatest challenge was finding the time and energy to write it. My job keeps me very busy, and for seven months out of the year, my work stress level is incredibly high. After a long day at the office (or even working into the evening at home), I’m exhausted. While I love the story and characters, sometimes that’s not enough to pull me back in front of the monitor for another round of writing. My creativity dims during those seven months. I force myself to write sometimes, and I know it’s about putting in the numbers because I can always edit the story later, but I prefer to write with a clear mind. 

The other challenge is making certain I spend time with my family. My boys are currently 9 and 11, so they’re still at the age where they actually want me to hang out with them. When it came to a choice between writing that critical fight scene or watching Gravity Falls with my guys, I’d pick the latter 110% of the time. Besides, Gravity Falls is a fantastic cartoon, so it really wasn’t that tough of a decision...

What is a unique or interesting bit of lore or background detail about your world:
Because Bloodlines combines sci-fi, crime and fantasy, I wanted to create a world that could be an alternate window to our future…as long as you throw in magic and parallel dimensions. The setting includes an established history when multiple nuclear detonations shattered the world (long before the start of Bloodlines) in more ways than just environmental disaster. The sheer power from the detonations weakened the fabric of reality, creating one-way portals FROM other Earths TO our own. Thus, aliens don’t come from space, but could appear in your own backyard. In addition, magic returned in the form of phased nexus nodes (think central hubs connected by ley lines) whereby anyone “attuned” or “sensitive” to them can draw from the nodes’ energy like a battery and wield the power.

What do you enjoy developing the most – characters, plot, or your world – and why:
The characters are my favorite, hands down. I love writing their dialogue. They’re funny, charming, challenging and endearing, even the bad guys. What’s the one thing you remember most from a movie, tv show or book? The one-liners. The quotables. Tom Holliday has plenty of quips. And his support cast - Deacon Kole, Besim Saranda, and Leyla - they’re no slouches either.

Book price and where it can be found:
Find the ebook ($2.99) here - https://books2read.com/u/3L0LwN
Find the paperback ($13.99) here - amazon.com/author/peterhartog

What’s your next project:
Busy working on the sequel, currently entitled Pieces of Eight. The SCU’s case load has only just begun!

Contact information:
Twitter - @althazyr
Website - peterhartog.com
LinkedIn - Peter Hartog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath a Brass Sky Spotlight: Caravansaries

  In  Beneath a Brass Sky , near the edge of the Brasslands, Ulfric and the wayfarers seek shelter in a holdover - a caravansary. There, they meet a guide that promises to see them over the Splitspines. To me, reaching the caravansary is an important moment in the story, because it represents Ulfric triumphing over the harshness of the Brasslands. Up to this point, arguably, the antagonist is the environment itself. But that's another post. Today, I want to talk about caravansaries. A caravansary is a roadside inn where travelers (caravaners) could rest and recover from a journey. They supported the flow of both commerce and information across the trade routes the sprawled across Asia, MENA, and SE Europe - especially the Silk Road, according to Wikipedia . When you arrive, expect to find markets, and farriers or smiths, and alehouses and cookshops, and perhaps gambling dens and other means of separating a traveler from their coins.  In short, Caravansaries were the fortified roads

Beneath a Brass Sky (Fantasy Fiction) - Is Out!

Beneath a Brass Sky (BaBS), my new fantasy novel, is now on Amazon for 99 cents! Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LZQJNCC/ First, the Blurb: Ulfric Halehorn is a sellsword that believes in the sanctity of the contract. He’s also rekindled an old grudge, incited a riot, and landed himself in jail on enough counts to see himself hung twice. In the midst of this, he somehow managed to win a lucrative contract to transport a mysterious crate across the Brasslands to Kush.  He’d be better off if he hadn’t. Days into the journey, Ulfric learns that the job is more than it seems, and that he carries with him the spark that may touch off a revolution that could burn across a city, and perhaps an entire region. Knowing this, Ulfric sees a chance to atone for breaking another contract nearly a decade ago — one that cost another city its freedom and its people their lives; an act that still haunts him to this day. But the Brasslands is a vast land, filled with fugitives, and wild beasts, and na

Wednesday Art - Medieval Interlude, N. Bouvier