Skip to main content

Author Interview, Francis Williams



Francis Williams, author of Honor, stopped by for a spell.  Here's what he had to say:

Francis, tell us a little about yourself.  I grew up in Sacramento, CA to parents who encouraged me to read from the moment I could recognize letters. I loved reading these old books my grandparents owned, and later figured out I wanted to write one of my own. I wrote a few short stories I submitted into random competitions I'd come across, but never took it very seriously until about fairly recently. 
I grew up playing baseball, also from a very young age. That was probably the thing that shaped my life the most. A lot of the people I know, I met them playing the sport, and I went to college because of it as well. Writing has become extremely important to me, but I would still say baseball has my heart.

What authors do you draw inspiration from? Bernard Cornwell. I first read his Saxon Stories series before I chose to actually try and pursue a writing career. I'd noticed while watching The Last Kingdom on Netflix that the show was based on a book series, and figured I'd give them a read. I thought the first book was so good I ordered the whole series and rad them all back to back. I then ordered his Warlord Chronicles as well as his Grail Quest series so I could have something to read while I waited for his next book. I just thought the way he gives his characters such a rich backstory was unbelievable. I firmly believe if more people knew about him, he'd have more than just two TV series made from his books. 

Tell us about your book. Honor is set in the fifth century, about the time the Roman Empire really starts spiraling downward. The story begins in what's now Bordeaux, France, and moves to various places in Britain and the Netherlands. I chose this setting because I thought it would be easiest to create a story in a place and time where I could take a fair amount of liberties if I needed to. 
There's a decent amount of characters with varying motivations. I wrote it with multiple POV characters, as every single story I loved growing up did the same. I knew if I wanted to write a 160k word novel, I would need to make sure I wouldn't get burned out by writing for the same person the whole way through. That being said, there's one main-ish character and three main perspectives which hold a majority of the book.

How long did it take you to write it?  What were some of the challenges? From day one in the process to the moment it was completed, I'd say about two years. Researching took about six months while writing and waiting for feedback from beta-readers took up the rest.

One huge challenge I ran across was the use of different names for the same city. It seemed like I would run across a different name for a place integral to the story every few days before I found one I could settle on. One other challenge I've run across is marketing the book. I'm keeping my ears open and have received quite a bit of advice recently, so I'm not all that worried just yet.

What is a unique or interesting bit of lore or background detail about your world? In Britain especially, the fifth century is very hard for historians to pin down. It seems there's no written accounts of what happened after 410 CE until the Anglo-Saxons took control over a majority of the island. This led to a bunch of interesting legends and rumors about the times I could use for inspiration. The range of things I could have thrown in is much more impressive than I originally anticipated.

What do you enjoy developing the most, characters, plot, world? My characters for sure. I like to try and create an interesting backstory, which isn't any different than anyone else. Working with a mix of people who definitely existed and another group that may have existed makes building the puzzles of their past so interesting to me. I try to be believable, but interesting as well. 

Where can we find your books? My book can be found in both paperback and ebook formats on Amazon! The ebook is 3.99, while the paperback is 14.99.


What’s your next project? The sequel to my first book. It's going to be much darker than the first, with a different take on a legendary person most people have probably heard of. I'm roughly halfway done!

Francis' Contact Links:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath a Brass Sky Spotlight: Caravansaries

  In  Beneath a Brass Sky , near the edge of the Brasslands, Ulfric and the wayfarers seek shelter in a holdover - a caravansary. There, they meet a guide that promises to see them over the Splitspines. To me, reaching the caravansary is an important moment in the story, because it represents Ulfric triumphing over the harshness of the Brasslands. Up to this point, arguably, the antagonist is the environment itself. But that's another post. Today, I want to talk about caravansaries. A caravansary is a roadside inn where travelers (caravaners) could rest and recover from a journey. They supported the flow of both commerce and information across the trade routes the sprawled across Asia, MENA, and SE Europe - especially the Silk Road, according to Wikipedia . When you arrive, expect to find markets, and farriers or smiths, and alehouses and cookshops, and perhaps gambling dens and other means of separating a traveler from their coins.  In short, Caravansaries were the fortified roads

Beneath a Brass Sky (Fantasy Fiction) - Is Out!

Beneath a Brass Sky (BaBS), my new fantasy novel, is now on Amazon for 99 cents! Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LZQJNCC/ First, the Blurb: Ulfric Halehorn is a sellsword that believes in the sanctity of the contract. He’s also rekindled an old grudge, incited a riot, and landed himself in jail on enough counts to see himself hung twice. In the midst of this, he somehow managed to win a lucrative contract to transport a mysterious crate across the Brasslands to Kush.  He’d be better off if he hadn’t. Days into the journey, Ulfric learns that the job is more than it seems, and that he carries with him the spark that may touch off a revolution that could burn across a city, and perhaps an entire region. Knowing this, Ulfric sees a chance to atone for breaking another contract nearly a decade ago — one that cost another city its freedom and its people their lives; an act that still haunts him to this day. But the Brasslands is a vast land, filled with fugitives, and wild beasts, and na

Wednesday Art - Medieval Interlude, N. Bouvier